Getting and Paying Child Support

Paying Child Support
If you have kids that you did not have custody of before you went to prison, there may be a child support order requiring you to pay a certain amount every month for their support. Even if you did not go to court, for example, the parent with custody filed for the order while you were incarcerated, the court can still order you to pay child support. The amount you pay in child support is tied to your income, and if the court does not know your income, they will assume you are working 40 hours a week at minimum wage. Child support payments are usually taken out of your paycheck. If you have not paid at all or missed payments, you will owe “arrears.” Unless you got a modification of your child support order when you went into prison (see below), the amount of arrears that you owe will have continued to grow while you were inside. When you come out, and get a job, they can begin to take out not just the monthly amount you owe for child support, but more money to pay back the arrears (up to 65% of your pay in total). The court may also suspend your driver’s license.

Whether you have custody of your children on your own when you get out and need help from an absent “non-custodial” parent or you do not have custody of kids who need your support, child support payments will be an important part of your life after you are released. Some basic information is included below, as far as enforcing a child support order.

To locate a parent prior to an order, contact:
Mercer County Board of Social Services
200 Woolverton Street
P.O. Box 01450
Trenton, NJ 08650
(609) 989-4320
To enforce an existing order, contact:
Mercer County Child Support
175 South Broad Street P.O. Box 8068
Trenton, NJ 08650
To establish or change an order, contact:
Mercer County Family Court Bldg
175 South Broad Street P.O. Box 8068
Trenton, NJ 08650
Phone: (609) 571-4200
You can also call 1-877 NJKIDS1 for more information.