Child Custody and Visitation

Establishing visitation and gaining custody of your children once you are released is not an overnight procedure. If you had custody of your kids at the time you were incarcerated and no family was able to take care of them, they may have been placed in foster care. If this is the case and you do not know your child’s case manager’s name or number, contact the Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS) at 800-531-1091. You will have to make an appointment with the case manager for an interview. They may not be willing to give you information over the phone. You’ll be asked a series of questions in order to assess if and when you will be given visitation rights, so that you may reestablish your relationship with the child and hopefully gain custody again. This is just a quick overview of what to do and what you can expect.

If you were convicted of any violent or sexual offenses against children, you may be unable to live with or regain custody of your children.

Listed below are the different offices for DYFS in your area. Please contact the office that applies to your location.

Mercer North LO- #673
3131 Princeton Pike
Building 6, Suite 202
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Toll Free: 800-392-2735
Fax: 609-219-6564
Mercer South LO – #669
120 S. Stockton St., 2nd Fl
P.O. Box 717
Trenton, NJ 08625
Toll Free: 800-392-2721
Fax: 609-633-9602