Military Discharge Papers

FYI: You may have the opportunity to meet with the Veterans Administration (VA) liaison from the Veterans Administration during your incarceration. The VA liaison can assist you in requesting a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers) by completing the SF-180 form. Please notify your institution’s P.R.E.P.A.R.E social worker for assistance with your requests and to obtain information on your veteran status. You can also obtain the SF-180 by writing the Veteran Benefit Administration in NJ or the NPRC, which is the main record depository.

Upon your release, you can also visit the following web site to request military records:

Once on the website, follow the on-screen instructions for requesting personnel records. You will be asked to print out a signature page which can either be mailed or faxed. Upon receiving the form, the records will be mailed directly to you.

Main records depository

NPRC, 9700 Page Ave
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100