Getting Started: Identification (I.D.) and Other Documents

In order to apply for employment, rent an apartment, apply for general assistance, food stamps, or Medicaid, proper identification will be required. The more identification you have in your possession, the easier it will be for you to obtain these services. Certain items can be obtained while you are still incarcerated. Ask your social worker for assistance, and for the remainder, this book will point you in the right direction.

FYI: In order to obtain identification, various agencies will require proof of address. It is smart to keep bills in your name or official documents that have your name and address for further verification of your address

FYI: NJDOC Release Papers/ Temporary I.D Card
Make sure you keep your prison release papers and temporary I.D. card. Your release papers can serve as identification in some circumstances and your I.D. card is valid for 30 days.